Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Backwinders---Anyone still use these?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Just curious of any of you have used or still use backwinders. I bought one of those Craven backwinders a long time ago, and had pretty good luck with it, but the drawbacks were: can't rewind much without jamming the cartridge. And I used to lose track of how much I had rewound! ( i know, the thing has a frame counter knob on it!) Actually, I never had a problem with jamming cartridges, mostly because I followed the instructions. If I start using super 8 more often, more than likely, I'll probably have the footage transferred to dv, and use the computer to superimpose, rather than using the 'ole backwinder!

  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have an EWA backwinder, but I never use it.

    I think you are 100% right when you say it makes sense to do it when editing your film after it has been transferred to video.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    <font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ August 30, 2003 05:04 AM: Message edited by: cameraguy ]</font></font>

    ---------------

    Member deleted their response depriving all others of the information-

    -Alex (the moderator of this forum).

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ September 21, 2003 03:52 AM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>

  4. #4
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    There is one primary reason why you cannot rewind Super-8 film back too far. The Super-8 Cartridges were not made to be rewound.

    The normal amount of super-8 frames one can backwind is around 72-90. I believe the Nikon R-8 and the Nikon R-10 can go back up to 10 seconds, or 180 frames. Those two cameras can actually film in reverse! (Although I've never tried it)

    Dissolve sequences normally don't need to exceed more than 2-4 seconds, so you don't need to go back to far anyway.

    However, if you wanted to do some nifty double-exposure effects, then the backwind capability is limited for that purpose.

    But when editing your film footage via video, you have huge flexibility in the area of double-exposure and dissolves.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    <font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ August 30, 2003 05:05 AM: Message edited by: cameraguy ]</font></font>

    -------------

    Original message reinserted by the moderator to keep the entire thread intact.

    -------------

    In a silent cartridge there is a physical limit to what can be rewound which is about 100 frames max. And that is only possible cause film is run through the gate but the camera take up is stopped so that the film just bunches up inside the cartidge. Then you can rewind til its tight again. Try any more than 100 frames and you'll jam the cartridge. The R10 does its lap dissolve/reverse/superimpose automatically so you can't go over 100 frames even if you wanted to. With a Beaulieu 4008 ZMII or ZM4 you can hold the small black button and film as long as you want, until the cartridge jams that is.

    The sound cartridge is different than the silent and I have not taken the one I have apart yet to see.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ September 21, 2003 03:50 AM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>

  6. #6
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I thought the Nikon Manual stated that the camera could film in reverse for up to 10 seconds at the 18 Frames Per Second mode, but I can't find my manual to verify this.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    My camera has a lap dissolve feature, it's only supposed to work with sound film, but you can get around that by taping a button internally...but it doesn't rewind very far!

  8. #8
    Inactive Member cameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2001
    Posts
    831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <font color="#a62a2a"><font size="1">[ August 30, 2003 05:05 AM: Message edited by: cameraguy ]</font></font>

    -----------------

    Original message reinserted by the moderator to keep the entire topic thread intact.

    -----------------

    Originally posted by Alex:
    I thought the Nikon Manual stated that the camera could film in reverse for up to 10 seconds at the 18 Frames Per Second mode, but I can't find my manual to verify this.
    <font size="2" face="verdana, sans-serif">Nope. 5.5 seconds (at 18 fps) or 100 frames. All it is doing is running film forward for upto 5.5 secs with the take up stopped and shutter closed. You then film the slack created in reverse til its back to where you started.

    R10 reverse from manual

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ September 21, 2003 03:55 AM: Message edited by: Alex ]</font>

  9. #9
    Inactive Member kram's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 18th, 2003
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    From what I have heard, The dissolves done in post digitally do not look as good as the ones done on film.

  10. #10
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    When comparing dissolves done on some lower end non-linear systems to a film dissolve, you are probably right. Sometimes NLE dissolves are done in "field" mode versus "frame" mode, and I would agree with you that they don't look very good.

    However, Panasonic MX-50 dissolves, done on a tried and true analog/digital switcher, do a very nice job when it comes to dissolves.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •